Hydrotherapy is a form of physiotherapy treatment that is sometimes referred to as aquatic physiotherapy and is the use of water to relieve discomfort and promote physical well-being. At Sportsmed East, hydrotherapy is used in conjunction with normal land based physiotherapy sessions and treatment to add variety and speed-up rehabilitation. It can help in treating musculoskeletal and sports injuries, balance problems, arthritic and inflammatory conditions and for post-operative upper limb, lower limb and spinal rehabilitation. Hydrotherapy is especially useful for rehabilitation after operations such as hip or knee replacements.
Evidence has shown that exercising in a pool environment is great for easing conditions such as arthritis and muscle pain.
Exercising in water has a number of therapeutic effects:
• The ‘weightlessness’ one experiences in water decreases pain and reduces stress on the joints.
• The water can be used to allow you to complete movements that would be otherwise difficult to complete on dry land. This can help you get back to your normal activities faster.
• The water helps the muscles to relax and decrease pain and spasms.
• General sense of well-being benefits and helps with relaxation.
• Allows you to exercise with reduced weight through your legs helping you to mobilise (walk/run) more independently.
• Improves circulation and optimises healing.
• Increases movement and flexibility: The buoyancy produced by the water helps assist or resist movement.
The pool is located at The Lodge, Tuddenham Road, Ipswich IP4 3QH
For more information on whether you might benefit from hydrotherapy and session times,
please contact us on 01473 622698
Get In Touch
Make A Booking
Want to experience our range of classes and treatments? Get in touch.Read More
News & Blog
Interested in finding out more? Sign up to receive our newsletter and blog posts.Read More
We offer a wide range of classes including circuit training, pilates and much more.Read More
Don't just take our word for it, read what past clients have to say about us.Read More